Dry Gas Seal Systems
Dry Gas Seal (DGS) systems are used throughout the process industry to provide positive shaft sealing on Compressors and other rotating machines in order to prevent the release of potentially harmful gasses or substances into the surrounding atmosphere.
The use of Gas as the sealing medium has increasingly replaced Oil which was widely used for this purpose as gas seal technology has technology has improved over the last 20 years.
It is true that most of the gas seal manufacturers can also provide a simple DGS system which may suit a Customers need‚ in cases where the DGS is required to meet unique project or process specifications then the Compressor OEM may need to turn to a specialist such as Colfax Fluid Handing to provide a more personalized solution for their particular application (as indicated in the below picture).
Strengths of the Technology
- Elimination of the need to deal with contaminated seal oil
- By eliminating the wet seal system‚ operators improves operational safety by removing the likelihood any dangerous buildup of hydrocarbon gas in the seal oil
- Reduced wear rate because the seal surface is separated by gas while the shaft is rotating
- Improved Reliability as dry seals have fewer ancillary components
- Lower power consumption because dry gas seals have no accessory oil circulation pumps and systems
As an alternative to dry gas seal systems users may also consider a magnetic drive system where a synchronous magnetic coupling transmits torque from an outer magnet carrier on the atmospheric side through a static isolation shell to the driven inner magnet carrier inside the process machine.
In this instance there is no need to provide any type of shaft sealing as the shaft seeing the process medium is fully contained within a sealed housing inside the machine.
Colfax Fluid Handling can provide you with mag-drive pumps under our IMO and Allweiler brands.